Through the engagement with and performance of Shakespeare’s text through a unique artistic methodology, we create matchless and transformative experiences that empower audiences of all ages to expand and challenge their worldview.
The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre seeks a personable, strategic, and detail-oriented Development Director to advance the organization in meeting and maximizing its contributed and earned income goals. The Development Director is pivotal in establishing and deepening relationships with institutional and individual donors, supporting the Board of Directors and key staff in cultivation and stewardship, and managing special events and grant proposals. The position reports to the Artistic/Executive Director.
1. Assist Artistic/Director and Board of Directors in setting and implementing annual and long-range development strategy and plans.
2. Manage the implementation of department budget and development plans that articulate focused and diverse efforts to meet or exceed fundraising goals.
3. Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with donors (board, individuals, foundations, and corporate).
4. Create and monitor annual deadline calendar for grant proposals, reports, and other strategic fundraising initiatives.
5. Research, write and file grant proposals and reports to foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
6. Research donors, track communications/efforts, solicit gifts/grants, and provide timely acknowledgement for gifts from board members, individual donors, corporations and foundations.
7. Plan and implement special cultivation and performance events, (e.g., house parties, large-scale fundraising events), and liaise with Artistic/Executive Director, Board committee, and volunteers in project planning and execution.
8. Write and prepare annual individual solicitation mailing(s), invitations, and special fundraising campaigns, among other materials.
9. With Marketing Director, create and manage sponsorship efforts to individuals and corporations.
10. Represent The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre at foundation and industry events relevant to the company’s fund development efforts.
The ideal candidate for the Development Director will have three to five years experience in fundraising, preferably for the performing arts or a related field, and have outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and written/verbal communication skills. He/she will have a proven ability to increase revenues through contributed income, with a measurable record of success in building and deepening donor relationships with individuals and institutional funders. The Development Director will uphold a tone of collaboration, respect, and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Mac Operating Systems required; knowledge of Google programs and Ovations software preferred. College degree required.
The Development Director is a part-time position, with the opportunity to work at home. Full-time is a possibility. Hours are flexible and salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, writing samples and three professional references to Rebekah@phillyshakespeare.org.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.